Notice of Election for FAOBMB Secretary General
Dear FAOBMB Council member
The second term of Professor Phillip Nagley as Secretary General of FAOBMB will expire on 31 December, 2017. He will have served from 1 January 2012 for the first of two possible three-year terms, and then was re-elected for a second term from 1 January 2015. He is not eligible to serve for another term as Secretary General (according to Rule 56, see below).
A new Secretary General of FAOBMB Fellowships Committee will be elected to serve as follows:
Three-year term: 2018-2020, inclusive. (There will be the possibility in future to be subsequently re-elected for a further three-year term 2021-2023).
The election of Secretary General is a very important duty of Council. The role of Secretary General is critical to the administration of FAOBMB. Duties include maintaining liaison with delegates of Constituent Members, responsibility for Council meetings and Executive Committee meetings, providing advice to organizers of FAOBMB Congresses and Conferences, soliciting new Constituent Members and managing the FAOBMB website.The position also entails working closely with other members of the Executive Committee, especially the President, on these and other matters of significance to the management and development of FAOBMB.
In accordance with FAOBMB Rule 52 (pasted below), I am writing to give you the opportunity to make a nomination for Secretary General of FAOBMB. Nominations should be made on the attached form and need to include the written consent of the nominee to serve if elected. The nomination form must be signed by a Nominator and Seconder who are both members of one of the Constituent Member societies or groups of the FAOBMB Inc. The form should be accompanied by a short biographical sketch of the nominee (maximum of one A4 page).
After completion, please send me PDF files of the nomination form and biographical sketch (or scan in the signed nomination form and biographical sketch) and email them to me by the due date 24 July 2017. Alternatively, you may send them by ordinary mail as follows (also to reach me by that due date):
Extract from relevant Rules of FAOBMB
52 Nominations to positions of President, Secretary General, Treasurer, Chair of Education Committee and Chair of Fellowships Committee
(1) During the calendar year preceding that in which a vacancy is anticipated to arise for a particular office by virtue of the incumbent in that office having reached the limit of their term in office under rule 56, or as soon a practicable after a member of the Executive Committee leaves office by resignation or for any other reason under these Rules, the Secretary General shall send a dated circular by email to all members not less than 42 days before the deadline for the receipt of nominations, calling for nominations of candidates for the respective offices of the Executive Committee.
(2) Each nomination shall be signed by a nominator and a seconder who are each a member of a Society or Group that is a Constituent Member of the Federation, and shall be accompanied by the written consent of the nominee to serve if elected. Nominations are to be sent electronically to the Secretary General either by email or facsimile.
(3) If there is one valid nomination for the position to be filled the Secretary General will declare the candidate elected to that position.
(4) If the number of valid nominations exceeds one for any position to be filled, an election will be held ―
(a) by Ballot at the next meeting of Council according to rule 54 provided that the date for return of nominations is less than 42 days before the next announced date for a meeting of Council; or
(b) by Ballot outside Council meeting according to rule 55 provided that the date for return of nominations is 42 days or more before the next announced date for a meeting of Council.
56 Term of office of the Executive Committee members
(1) Presidential officers
(a) The term of office of the President-Elect is one calendar year beginning on 1 January and ending 31 December of the year of assuming office. At the termination of the term as the President-Elect, he or she shall become the President of the Federation with a term of three calendar years beginning on 1 January of the year of assuming office. The term of the Immediate Past President shall be two calendar years following the termination of his or her term as the President.
(b) The President-Elect shall be elected by the Council every three years.
(c) The President shall not be eligible for a second consecutive term in the same office.
(2) The Secretary General and the Treasurer
(a) The term of office of the Secretary General and that of the Treasurer shall be three calendar years which shall begin on 1 January of the year of assuming office.
(b) The Secretary-General and the Treasurer shall be elected by the Council every three calendar years.
(c) The Secretary-General and the Treasurer shall be eligible for re-election for a second and final consecutive term to the same office.
(3) Chair of the Education Committee and the Chair of the Fellowships Committee
(a) The term of office of the Chair of the Education Committee and the Chair of the Fellowships Committee shall be three calendar years which shall begin on 1 January of the year of assuming office.
(b) The Chair of the Education Committee and the Chair of the Fellowships Committee shall be elected by the Council every three calendar years.
(c) The Chair of the Education Committee and the Chair of the Fellowships Committee shall be eligible for re-election for a second and final consecutive term to the same office.
The closing date for receipt of nominations is Monday, 24 July 2017. If more than one nomination is received, a postal (i.e email) ballot will be held according to Rule 55 (there would be more than 42 days between that date for return of nominations and the next announced date for the meeting of Council on 5 December 2017, in Kobe, Japan). Should an election need to be called, a simple majority of votes received will be sufficient for election provided the number of votes received is at least 50% of the total number of those eligible to vote.
NOMINATION FORM FOR FAOBMB SECRETARY GENERAL (PDF)